Sunday, October 28, 2007

How to make a shaker card pt. 1






I like making my own shaker cards, rather than using the CD holder because my cards are not the same size as the CD holder. I rarely make square cards. Most of the time they are 4.25 x 5.5 inches (or half of a 8.5 x 11 inch paper). I use this size because I have envelopes that fit. Or I use the precut cards with matching envelope sets.

This is an easy method to make any shaker card. Most of the time I stick with circles, squares, and rectanges. For the demonstration, I'm going fancy with a bunch of balloons. It's for my co-worker's 36th anniversary at work. That's a heck of a tenure, and she deserves a celebration! So my card will have festive balloons.

Step 1: cut a piece of sticky foamie the same size as the card front. I'm using a 5 x 6.5 inch card. Next trace your cut-out on the foamie. I like to use stencils to make the designs. The balloons are from Fiskars.

Step 2: Cut out the design.

Step 3: Trace the design on the DS paper which will cover the foamie. If the design is not symmetrical, make sure you line up the back of the DS paper with the front of the foamie. If you don't, your DS will have a mirror image of the design.

Step 4: Cut the design out of the DS paper. Then turn over the paper and match up the DS paper to the foamie. If the foamie shows through, make the cut out in the foamie just a bit bigger.

Step 5: For this card, I added the Dots DS paper to the card. Or you can add a photo to the card, whatever you want to show through the window. Remove the backing from the foamie and stick to the card. Make sure the corners match perfectly.

Step 6: Cut out a piece of acetate (transparency film) and attach to wrong side of DS paper.

No comments: